Broadview Avenue and Dundas Street intersection - streetcar track renewal
June 25 to July 23, 2018
Work description and purpose
Work to replace the streetcar tracks at the Broadview and Dundas intersection is scheduled to begin on June 25. Tracks will be upgraded from south of Dundas Street to north of First Avenue, and repairs north of Gerrard Street will also be completed concurrently. Track renewal at the Broadview Avenue and Gerrard Street intersection will follow this work.
What to expect and work hours
- The Dundas intersection will be fully closed in all directions from 5 a.m. on Monday, June 25 to 6 a.m. on Monday, July 23.
- Local vehicular traffic will be permitted up to the closure zone. Pedestrian and cyclist access will be maintained around the closure.
- The first few days of the full intersection closure are the most challenging, and involve breaking and removing concrete within the streetcar track areas. The contractor is required to stop concrete breaking at 11 p.m. Removal of broken concrete and area cleanup may continue past midnight.
- The rail installation phase of this project will involve periods of late evening and overnight work and extended weekend hours by TTC crews. Around-the-clock rail installation work is required to preserve the integrity and quality of new rail and concrete.
- TTC will use the track area on Broadview Avenue between Dundas Street and Queen Street, south of Kintyre Avenue for approximately one week to weld new rail together. Newly welded rail will remain stored on the track area north of Kintyre Avenue until they are installed between Dundas Street and Gerrard Street. Parking will be restricted in these areas.
- Pre-assembled rail panels on flatbed trailers will be temporarily stored in the track allowance near the closure. Parking will be restricted in these areas.
- The rail panels help speed installation, thereby reducing the duration of construction and overnight work.
TTC service changes - (5 a.m. on June 25 to 6 a.m. on July 23)
During the closure at Broadview and Dundas, all buses will be restricted from entering the intersection.
- Buses will divert both ways around the closed intersection from Broadview Station via, Broadview Avenue, Gerrard Street, River Street and Dundas Street.
504D King (temporary bus route)
- Buses will operate from Broadview Station to King Street East at Berkeley Street via, Broadview Avenue, Gerrard Street, River Street, King Street, Parliament Street and Front Street.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
For further information:
Track work: Niki Angelis, Community Liaison Officer, 416-894-0869; firstname.lastname@example.org
Customer Service, 416-393-3030 (daily 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., closed holidays) or @TTChelps or visit ttc.ca
Visit S.E.A.S. at 606 Gerrard Street East for information on the project.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service