Gerrard Street East
Rail replacement at two westbound streetcar stops
Start Date: June 19 to 23 and June 26 to 30, 2017
Content/timeline accurate at time of printing
Work description and purpose
Starting June 19, pending weather, TTC track crews will begin work to replace worn rail at two streetcar stops on Gerrard Street. Only one location will be completed at a time.
- Gerrard and Prust – westbound streetcar stop – June 19 to 23
- Gerrard and Highfield – westbound streetcar stop – June 26 to 30
This rail work is being done in conjunction with other TTC work in the east end – overnight overhead wire replacement on Gerrard Street East between Parliament Street and Carlaw Avenue. 506/306 Carlton streetcars will be diverted around the work areas and a shuttle bus will operate on Gerrard Street in the affected area – see below.
Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction through the work zones. On-street parking will be restricted through the work area to create a safe work zone for the crew. The work crew will occupy the track area.
Work hours and timeline
Rail work of this nature will generally take place between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m., but may require some overnight work to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete. The following is the general sequence of work and timeline for each streetcar stop.
Step 1: The track crew will begin milling the concrete from the track area to expose the rail to be replaced. Welding and grinding of rail will also take place during the day.
Step 2: The old rail will be removed and new rail installed, welded and grinded. Concrete will be placed in the track area.
Step 3: The newly placed concrete will be allowed proper curing time before the work zone is removed for the resumption of full road service.
TTC service changes - June 19 to June 30
• 506 Carlton streetcars will divert around the work area both ways via Parliament Street, Queen Street and Coxwell Avenue to route.
• 506C Carlton shuttle buses will operate between Queen/Coxwell and Carlton/Sherbourne.
• 306 Carlton night streetcars will be replaced by buses operating along the entire regular routing.
• City/BIA streetscaping work in the west end of the city requires the 506 Carlton streetcar to divert via Bathurst Street and Dundas Street West, turning back at High Park Loop until October 15, 2017.
• 506B Carlton shuttle buses will operate between College/Lansdowne and College/Spadina.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison, 416-393-2197; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elevator Alert: Don Mills Station, Southeast entrance to concourse, out of service.
Last updated 6:06 AM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service