Dundas and Lansdowne - track intersection renewal
Intersection closure from September 2 to October 5, 2018
Work description and purpose
The City and TTC will be replacing the streetcar tracks at the intersection of Dundas and Lansdowne beginning Sunday, September 2. This is the second of three track replacement projects required to bring the Lansdowne/Dundas/College triangle to a state of good repair.
What to expect and work hours
- A full closure of the intersection from 5 a.m. on Sunday, September 2* to 6 a.m. on Friday, October 5.*
- Local vehicular traffic will be permitted up to the closure zone. Pedestrian access will be maintained around the closure and cyclists are asked to dismount and walk a short distance around the intersection.
- The first few days of the construction are the most disruptive and involve breaking and removing concrete. Concrete breaking will stop at 11 p.m. Removal of broken concrete, cleanup and construction related deliveries may continue past midnight.
- The rail installation phase of this project will involve periods of late evening and overnight work and extended weekend hours by TTC crews. Around-the-clock rail installation work is required to preserve the integrity and quality of new rail and concrete. Beeping sound from construction vehicles may be heard.
- TTC overhead work will occur before and after the project, and will require some overnight activities.
- Pre-assembled rail panels on flatbed trailers will be delivered at the beginning of the project (overnight) and temporarily stored in the track area near the closure. One flatbed will be parked on Lansdowne Avenue just south of College Street. The remaining flatbeds will be parked on Dundas Street from St Clarens Avenue to Margueretta Street. Parking will be restricted in these areas until the panels are moved into the intersection for installation. The rail panels help speed up installation, thereby reducing the duration of construction and overnight work.
- TTC crew/lunch trailers will be parked on St Helens Avenue just north of College Street (west of Lansdowne Avenue). The contractor’s trailer will be parked on Lumbervale Avenue.
TTC service changes (5 a.m. September 2 to 6 a.m. October 5)
- 505 Dundas: This route is currently operating with a bus service. Buses will divert around the intersection both ways via; Dundas, Dufferin, College and Dundas to regular route.
- 47 Lansdowne: Buses will divert both ways via; Lansdowne, College, Dufferin and Queen to Lansdowne, looping back for the return northbound trip via; MacDonell, Seaforth, Lansdowne and Queen. Bus stops on Lansdowne Avenue between College and Queen will be temporarily out of service.
- 402 Parkdale Community: Buses will divert both ways via; Lansdowne, College, Dundas, Howard Park, Roncesvalles and Queen.
This year, the City/TTC conducted three intersection track renewal projects (Gerrard/Parliament, Broadview/Dundas, Broadview/Gerrard) and completed each ahead of schedule.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit infrastructure.
For further information:
- Track work: Diego Sinagoga, Senior Community Liaison Officer, 416-393-2197; email@example.com
- Customer Service, 416-393-3030 (daily 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., closed holidays) or @TTChelps or visit ttc.ca.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service