Main Street Station - station upgrades
Bus/streetcar loop closed on May 13, 2018. Around-the-clock track work started as early as May 22, 2018.
Work description and purpose
TTC will be working to upgrade the infrastructure at Main Street Station. These upgrades include roof replacement, sections of the bus roadway and platform rehabilitation, improved lighting, relocation of the walkway, track replacement and new streetcar overhead. The majority of the work is scheduled to take place when the bus/streetcar loop is closed from May 13 to September 2018. As a result the project will involve transit diversions.
See the initial/preliminary project information provided from the Main Street Station Open House (.pdf) on January 17, 2018.
TTC staff will be at Main Street Station (street level) on Thursday, May 10 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. to answer questions about the project.
What to expect during stages of work starting May 14
- Increased levels of one-way bus operation on Barrington and on Chisholm between Danforth and Doncaster.
- Buses will return to regular routing to/from Main Street Station when TTC and Hydro One work stages permit.
- Streetcar track/concrete replacement in front of the station and inside the bus/streetcar loop (around-the-clock during rail installation).
- Concrete replacement within track; south of the station to the middle of Danforth Avenue (weekend).
- Rehabilitating the bus roadway and passenger platform inside the station, and lighting upgrades (daytime).
- Station roof and canopy work (daytime, some night work may be required).
- Pedestrian walkway relocation (daytime).
- Overhead wiring upgrades (day and night work).
What to expect during around-the-clock track work starting May 22
The TTC and its contractor are currently working to replace the streetcar tracks and concrete on Main Street in front of Main Street Station. The track work extends from in front of the station to just north of Danforth Avenue. Rail replacement inside the station loop will follow.
- Rail work of this nature is required around-the-clock to ensure quality installation of new rail and concrete. The majority of the track work will be done between 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. and will involve overnight activities, including rail installation and concrete pouring.
- Old rail will be replaced with the new rail, which will involve some cutting and welding/grinding.
Note: Another phase of work involves concrete replacement on the north side of the intersection. This will be scheduled and completed over a weekend. Notification will be provided in advance.
The majority of the work will take place during weekdays from 7a.m. to 9 p.m., and on weekends as required. Continuous work is required during rail installation phases of the track work to ensure the integrity and quality of the new rail and concrete installation.
While we cannot eliminate all noise, crews will do their best to keep levels to a minimum.
TTC service starting Sunday, May 13
Temporary routing changes are required during the closure of the bus/streetcar loop starting May 13.
- 20 Cliffside, 23 Dawes and 300 Blue Night: route maintained; on street boarding at Danforth/Main.
- 62 Mortimer, 64 Main and 87 Cosburn: route maintained, buses diverting to/from Main Street Station; on street boarding at Danforth/Main.
- 113 Danforth and 135 Gerrard: route shortened, buses diverting to Victoria Park Station; no stop at Danforth/Main.
- 306 Carlton: route maintained and extended to Victoria Park Station via Danforth and Victoria Park.
- 506 Carlton: route diverting to Victoria Park Station from Gerrard/Main via Gerrard and Victoria Park; no stop at Danforth/Main.
Temporary stops will be posted on Danforth Avenue near Main Street where customers can transfer between buses and subway. Nearby parking will be restricted as required, including areas to accommodate bus stops.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
For further information:
Paul Tran, Community Liaison, 416-981-1601; email@example.com.
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service