Streetcar overhead wiring upgrades
Gerrard Street East between Parliament and Carlaw
Start date: June 19 to July 9, 2017
Content/timeline accurate at time of printing
Work description and purpose
Starting on June 19 through to July 9, the TTC will be upgrading the streetcar overhead infrastructure and installing new trolley wire on Gerrard Street between Parliament Street and Carlaw Avenue. The overhead wiring upgrade is necessary for the future operation of the TTC’s new accessible streetcars.
In addition to this overhead work, track staff will be replacing worn rail at two streetcar stops (at Prust and at Highfield). These projects require 506 Carlton streetcars to divert around the work areas. A shuttle bus will operate on Gerrard Street in the affected area – see below.
To complete this overhead work as safely and with minimal impact to traffic as possible, TTC staff will work each night between 1 a.m. and 5 a.m. beginning at Parliament Street and progress east.
On average, two to four TTC overhead trucks with hydraulic equipment will be used to carry out this work. While efforts will be made by the crew to keep noise to a minimum, beeping sounds from back-up alarms on the TTC trucks may be audible at times. Equipment lights may also be noticeable.
Traffic will be maintained through the moving work zone with some lane restrictions. The TTC trucks will occupy the track area.
TTC service changes – June 19 to July 9
• 506 Carlton streetcars will divert around the work area both ways via Parliament Street, Queen Street and Coxwell Avenue to route.
• 506C Carlton shuttle buses will operate between Queen/Coxwell and Carlton/Sherbourne.
• 306 Carlton night streetcars will be replaced by buses and will operate regular routing.
• City/BIA streetscaping work in the west end of the city requires the 506 Carlton streetcar to divert via Bathurst Street and Dundas Street West, turning back at High Park Loop until October 15, 2017.
• 506B Carlton shuttle buses will operate between College/Lansdowne and College/Spadina.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit in Toronto.
• Diego Sinagoga, Community Liaison, 416-393-2197; email@example.com.
• Customer Service, 416-393-3030 (daily 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., closed holidays) or @TTChelps.
• TTY Line, 416-481-2523 (daily 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., closed holidays).
• Route/Schedules/Fares: 416-393-4636.
Elevator Alert: Don Mills Station, Southeast entrance to concourse, out of service.
Last updated 6:06 AM
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service