Chester Station - Second Exit/Entrance and Easier Access project update
Elevators available for service use as of September 2, 2020. Second Exit/Entrance open for customer use as of April 23, 2021
For background information, please visit the project page.
Construction update – April 23, 2021
The construction of the secondary exit/entrance for Chester Station is now complete! We would like to thank our neighbours for their patience during construction. The building is open and available for customer use as of April 23, 2021. The second exit/entrance building is located across from the main entrance and features two PRESTO-enabled fare gates.
Chester Station became the TTC’s 48th accessible subway station on September 2, 2020. Two new elevators connecting the street to the subway platform levels are open for customer use from the main station entrance.
Some remaining project-related activities will continue at the station.
Construction update - September 2, 2020
TTC’s Easier Access Program will make all subway stations accessible. Construction started September, 2018 to make Chester Station accessible by the end of 2020. As of September 2, 2020, the elevators have been put into service ahead of schedule and are available for customer use. Chester Station is the 48th accessible station on the system. Work at the second exit/entrance site is progressing and scheduled for completion in 2021. In order to safely carry out activities, the walkway north of the work zone has been closed. The walkway has been rerouted through the south end of the TPA lot. The shift will be in place until the end of the year.
Work description and purpose
As part of the TTC’s commitment to safety and modernization, Chester Station (on Line 2 Bloor-Danforth) will be getting a second exit/automatic entrance to improve customer safety and convenience. The TTC Board unanimously approved the Local Working Group’s recommended Second Exit/Entrance location in the northwest corner of the Toronto Parking Authority lot (29 Chester Avenue). Second Exit/Entrance construction is scheduled for completion in 2021 The TTC’s Easier Access Program makes stations accessible with the addition of new elevators (at the main entrance). To minimize the duration of overall construction, TTC will build the Chester Station Easier Access project at the same time as the Second Exit/Entrance project.
- Activities will include the excavation, shoring and concrete pouring.
- Noise and vibration associated with construction can be expected with this work. The contractor will work to keep both to a minimum.
- Work hours are scheduled Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Some weekend work may be required at times. Some delivery of equipment and materials will take place after 7 p.m.
Pedestrian, Cycling and Vehicular Access
- Access to the main entrance of Chester Station will be maintained during construction.
- The pedestrian walkway north of the station will remain accessible as long as safely possible during construction.
- The Bike Share station north of the station will remain accessible as long as safely possible during construction.
- Vehicular traffic will be maintained on Chester Avenue.
- Two-way traffic on Arundel Avenue will be permitted up to the parking lot entrance only.
Thank you for your patience as we work to improve transit accessibility and safety at Chester Station.
For further information:
Niki Angelis, Community Liaison, 416-981-1532, firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about construction advisories?
7 a.m.- 10 p.m., except statutory holidays.
TTY Hearing Impaired Service